EASTERN STATES EXPOSITION DONATES $260,483
TO THE BIG E/WEST SPRINGFIELD TRUST FUND
The Big E/West Springfield Trust Fund Grants Available Applications Accepted through June 1
Applications for The Big E/West Springfield Trust Fund grants are now being accepted and all West Springfield organizations and agencies that benefit education, youth, the elderly and the quality of life in Town, are encouraged to apply. The application and information can be found on the Town’s website. The deadline is June 1.
Eastern States recently made its annual donation to the trust, its largest ever, at $260,483. The donation represents 1% of ESE gross annual revenues for 2019. Contributions to the Fund, including this year’s gift, now total $4,496,906.
Each year, Fund trustees award a percentage of the donation to qualified applicants. Trustees Mayor William Reichelt, ESE President and CEO Eugene J. Cassidy and Attorney Mary Paier Powers hope to have a large and diverse pool of applicants for consideration.
Mayor Reichelt said, “We are grateful to the Exposition for maintaining this trust and for the growth it has seen as we share in the success of the Fair and other events. This is a unique opportunity that no other Massachusetts cities or towns have, to enhance worthwhile programs and make West Springfield a better place to live and work.”
He added, “I wholeheartedly encourage community organizations supporting our youth and families to apply for these funds.”
Cassidy stated, “The Exposition is honored to support its hometown and to have continually increased its donation to the fund over the past 25-plus years. I encourage each and every group that qualifies for the grant to apply – especially in this time of extraordinary need.”
In 2019, the Exposition donated $236,423 to The Big E/West Springfield Trust Fund and more than $77,720 in grants were given to 17 organizations:
- Boys & Girls Club for a security camera system
- Council on Aging for Intergenerational Art Projects
- Ecumenical Outreach for monthly and holiday meals and care packages for the elderly, homeless and families in need
- Environmental Committee for environmental education trips for Grades 3-5
- West Springfield Lions Club for Park of Heroes flags/supplies – Town Common
- Park & Recreation for Family Concert Series and fee waivers
- Sister City Program for cultural education
- Special Olympics for softball, football, and basketball T-shirts and transportation to state events
- Springfield Symphony Orchestra for youth concert admission/transportation for West Springfield students
- Tatham Playground Committee for playground equipment
- West Side Academy for educational field trip to Mystic
- West Springfield High School Baseball for new dugouts
- West Springfield High School Hockey Team for equipment
- West Springfield High School Irish Club for Sister City trip to Dingle Ireland
- West Springfield High School Girls Lacrosse for uniforms
- West Springfield High School Girls Track & Field for equipment
- YMCA of Greater Springfield for Birch Park Outreach Center activities
Questions regarding the application process may be directed to Joan George.
Eastern States Exposition is a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit federally designated corporation committed to excellence in providing year-round opportunities for the development and promotion of agriculture, education, industry and family entertainment. It is host to more than 100 annual events and the largest fair in the Northeast.